Quilts are fabric sandwiches, the top usually of fabric pieced together in a design or pattern. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. When loading minky on the machine, load so the stretchy part is going cross wise (horizontal). T, Detail shots from a few of my latest batch of gree, I know I’m late with writing my Halloween blog p, People have asked so I am starting to offer my #ge, I recently finished up a batch of blue dyes and th, You may have noticed that things have been a littl, Here's another #mandala I recently made in classic. They’re much bigger than quilting fabric and don’t require extra time and effort. For basting, I'd give it two thumbs up! I really like the feel and I think it makes the quilt a little extra special. It will not work as a quilt backing. I did this self-binding blanket with a quilting cotton top and Minky back & border: Can you iron it? Cathy says. Reply. Don’t be afraid of working with stretchy, fuzzy Minky fabric! Lay the whole quilt top face down onto the quilt backing; in this case I am using flannel and no batting. I googled "using minky for quilt backing" and there are many links. All you have to do is make squares with batting and backing. The more stitching you have, the less fluffy it’ll be. The Minky backing makes for a cozy soft quilt, totally irresistible to cuddling as you can see! I emptied one baggie at a time, then had my row stack, minky stack, and template close at hand. There is only one way to do this! Plus, the extra warmth and heft means you may not want to use batting. When backing a quilt with minky, I find that spray basting is the best way to handle the stretch. (Just do a quick check before you go to the store with fuzz all over your pants!) Minky fabrics tend to have a lot of fuzz. First of all, there is a big difference from one kind of minky fabric to another. Katie says. Required fields are marked *. Smooth the layers of fabric to remove all wrinkles and center the quilt top in the exact center of the polar fleece backing (the polar fleece backing will be 1.5 inches larger than the quilt top on all sides). I’ve been around long enough and I have so many new followers, that it’s nice to reintroduce you to some of my previous work. The simplest machine quilting design would be to stitch back down each seam along the quilts lengths to emphasize each strip. And don't forget to snuggle that quilt! The backing was Minky, which is a slightly furry fabric that makes a really soft and warm quilt back. Minky Plush Fabric Machine-Quilted Backing. I didn't have any problems with binding either. You can find cheap, stretchy, minky. And both the flannel and Minky knit fabrics will leave your sewing room in a cloud of lint and dust. want to have a thicker binding than you would with a cotton binding because of the extra bul ), and THEN I layered with the minkee backing and just did random eyelet circles throughout the quilt, … I’m using minky backing for a baby quilt for the first time, my cotton pieced blocks for the top measure 12 x 12 inches. It does present some challenges to work with, however. When I cut through the minky, I got red fuzz all over myself and the cutting mat. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. I quilt on my Janome 6600 and I really didn't struggle anymore than usual I have used batting with the minky backing I did not feel that I needed to cut the binding wider I am using quilters dream lightest batting between the layers. Time to Complete: Weekend. Keep your vacuum or lint roller handy when cutting. It make the quilt go through a little easier. Yow will get many replies here, but its worth a look. Click here for the free “How to Make a Minky Backed Baby Quilt”. When I finished quilting, I trimmed the extra batting and backing off the quilt. Now I will! Now all that is left is to curl up underneath on a comfy November 16, 2017 at 9:01 am. Fortunately, they’re easily overcome. However it’s spendy. Take your minky plush fabric quilt to the next level with machine quilting! If you pull to hard your stitches aren't even, but I do help the quilt through. I have worked with minky quite a few times over many years and it can be a headache! Get a nicely finished edge with this simple binding technique! Just as we mentioned how minky stretch influences cutting, stretching can also be a bit of an issue when sewing. Andrea picked out the quilting design called "Holly's Hearts" and it looks really great on the quilt! Hi Cathy! It’s easy to use as a quilt backing using a simple basting technique. I do this to hold those 2 fabrics in place. Whatever makes you happy right? I am obviously not skilled or knowledgeable enough to comfortably quilt with Minky. The hardest part was cutting the Minky fabric which made a huge mess! To cut square edges, lay your minky out on a large surface such as a dining table or the floor. Get a nicely finished edge with this simple binding technique! soft blanket, we want to make sure we don’t ruin it, right? How to make a rag quilt simple diy sewing project the flip how to make a minky backed baby quilt weallsew handmade kantha baby boy rag quilt throw child s or rag quilt with minky back easy craft ideas tips tricks for quilting with minky fabric quilt sew a super soft minky rag quilt perfect lap or gorgeous how to make a rag quilt from start finish. Difficulty level: Beginner. I’ve always been a sucker for those fluffy and soft fabrics. Backing a Quilt with Minky Preparing for Sewing. Feb 8, 2019 - A free tutorial for a sweet and simple whole-cloth baby quilt with a soft minky backing. As always when a quilt is quilted on a long arm, the backing must be square for best results. Your email address will not be published. Note – because cotton shrinks and minky doesn’t, and I wasn’t planning to quilt this blanket at all, I pre-washed my cotton. In fact, minky backed quilts are pretty much the only quilts my kids like to snuggle in. What is Minky backing? (My scrap was approximately 32" x 52".) Your email address will not be published. Either use a low loft batting or just skip it all together. Use the same zig-zag stitch to sew all the way around leaving a … Recommended stitches for top stitching or applique include straight, blanket, zig-zag and satin stitches. There are a few Making your quilt sandwich is arguably the single most important step for success when backing a quilt with minky fabric. Many quilters love to make cuddly quilts using fabric like polar fleece, flannel, or nappy knits like Minky or Shannon fabrics. A few notes about appliqueing with Cuddle fabric: Cuddle fabric has a nap to it and it can be easily crushed when pressed with a hot iron (especially the Cuddle Dimple used in this project). Reply. My friend Christen finally decided to have a baby girl, which meant that I could finally make a quilt for a girl! I send mine to a long armer and she's never had any issues to tell me about. Minky is wonderful because it doesn't wrinkle easily, but if you must iron it, you can use low heat and a press cloth. If you use pins, use lots and close together. You can use a single sheet of minky or a sheet of satin for the back. Either use a low loft batting or just skip it all together. Anyone else out there jealous of those super soft baby Sew … A Clever Idea for Using Leftover Triangles, How to Make a Simple Quilt That’s Truly Scrappy, How Your Phone Can Help You Achieve Quilting Goals, Get Flat and Perfect Points Where Several Seams Meet, Two Tips for More Polished Fabric Baskets and Bags, How to Tell if Older Thread is Still Good to Use, Lessons Learned the Hard Way by Fellow Quilters. I also gently "Guide" the quilt through. Click here for the “Tips for Quilting with Minky” article. Use only a single piece for the back. Feb 2, 2020 - Making your quilt sandwich is arguably the single most important step for success when backing a quilt with minky fabric. Quilting cotton - cut to approximately 3" or so larger than your minky on all sides ** after washing ** Note - because cotton shrinks and minky doesn't, and I wasn't planning to quilt this blanket at all, I pre-washed my cotton. I see minky and plush fleece in the stores I have the impulse control of a Minky goes by many names, depending on brand, but they’re all polyester microfiber plush with a bit of stretch. If you're interested in having your quilt long arm quilted with a plush backing such as cuddle or minky, we can do that for you! Since minky plush fabric is available in a variety of colors, it showcases the quilt designs really well and makes the long-arm quilting pop, giving it almost a velvet look. I love making baby quilts, they’re quick to sew and make for cherished gifts. […] Binding with the Quilt Back - February 11, 2016 […] really like this tutorial by Cluck Cluck Sew on how to use the backing as the binding. Tip: Spray basting is a great way to hold batting, backing and a quilt top together when quilting with minky. cozy blanket and minky isn’t just for baby blankets! The Fat Quarter Shop offers a very nice selection of minky fabric: currently Cuddle Fabric by Shannon Fabrics, Minky from Michael Miller, and Plush from Clothworks Fabrics. Click here for the “Quilting with Minky” article. When sewing stretchy Minky to non stretchy flannel (or any other non stretchy fabric), you want to place the stretchy fabric towards the feed dogs, this way they can do the work of drawing up any excess. I was totally planning on buying some with the expectation it would be a little expensive, but it was. Try not to stretch or pull the fabric as you’re sewing. Luckily, a few techniques can stabilize the fabric, making it easier to sew and work with. Today I’m sharing some This week on Sew Together Tuesday, our National Educator Teresa Coates takes you step-by-step through how to use Cuddle® minky fabric on a cotton quilt. and you can do the same with fleece. It will also drape better with less stitching. Click here for the “Quilting with Minky” article. Don’t prewash. A $35 fee applies to cover the extra attention it requires. Backing a Quilt with Minky Preparing for Sewing. With all my Minky experience, I thought I would be able to sew a double sided minky blanket. Lose the fluff. How to sew the Minky Backed Baby Quilt: Arrange your squares in a pattern 6 squares across and 8 squares down until you achieve a pattern you like. Because minky is slippery it is often not cut square when you purchase it. Currently you have JavaScript disabled. You’ll find fun prints, solids and various minky textures. Use minky fabric as the backing fabric on a quilt. These sure make a quilt snuggly but can present challenges for longarm quilters because of their loft, stretchiness, nap or grainline. These sure make a quilt snuggly but can present challenges for longarm quilters because of their loft, stretchiness, nap or grainline. Posts: 16,978 If you're going for soft, I'd go for minky. Used Material: coordinating thread, cotton fabric, cotton quilt batting, cutting mat, iron, Minki fabric, pressing surface, quilting ruler, rotary cutter. Quilting cotton - cut to approximately 3" or so larger than your minky on all sides ** after washing ** Note - because cotton shrinks and minky doesn't, and I wasn't planning to quilt this blanket at all, I pre-washed my cotton. Anneliese, writing for Bernina, provides instructions for a simple pieced baby quilt backed with minky (the pretty pink and yellow quilt pictured in this article). While you could make an entire quilt from minky, most quilters use it as a backing. Hand quilt the minky with the design of your choice or machine quilt. Quilting Digest also participates in the affiliate programs of various other merchants who provide quilting and sewing related products. Get a nicely finished edge with this simple binding technique! Location: Ontario, Canada. Feb 27, 2019 - A free tutorial for a sweet and simple whole-cloth baby quilt with a soft minky backing. I love using Cuddle fabric (also known as Minky) from Shannon when I make quilts. The filling of the sandwich is the batting of polyester fiberfill or other batting material. Do not buy it or try to use it if a customer brings you a cheap, stretchy minky. Reply. Affiliate commissions allow us to continue to provide interesting and helpful content for our readers. If you've ever cut it with a rotary cutter or … Sewing Minky to Minky & Walking Foot. Affiliate Disclosure: Quilting Digest is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Whenever I sew along those seams through the quilt and the minky. I used Minky once, for the back of a quilt. I glue baste all … Cuddle does not fray once it’s cut other than the “cuddl… The minky has lost some of its fluff but it is still snuggly soft. I've been doing dye science again! I'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Today I’m sharing some tips so that you can successfully back a quilt with it! If you have a fabric with a longer pile (aka the fuzzy bit), you can use the end of a pin to gently pull them out of the stitching if they get caught. In order to post comments, please make sure JavaScript and Cookies are enabled, and reload the page. If you're interested in having your quilt long arm quilted with a plush backing such as cuddle or minky, we can do that for you! Here is a great tutorial for how to bind a quilt with the backing. I like to pin on carpet because it helps hold the fabric in place while I’m pinning. Then stack your squares row-by-row so that the square at the far left is on top, followed by the subsequent squares in your row. Step 1: Spray the wrong side of your plush backing fabric. Pin the quilt to the minky. Apr 9, 2019 - A free tutorial for a sweet and simple whole-cloth baby quilt with a soft minky backing. Like Allison says, cut the backing […] Minky is most often used for children’s blankets, pillows, and stuffed animals. I’ve used Minky with this method and only folded it over once, and then I did a zig zag stitch along the edges to secure the binding for decoration and to keep the edges from being too raw. Labels: baby, rag quilt, tutorial. The following article from Superior Threads covers all the basics of working with this cuddly fabric. If you want a patterned backing on a large quilt but don’t want to take the time to align the fabric, you can use simple bed sheets. I’ve been intimidated by Minky for years, but once I got it basted up it really wasn’t hard to quilt over. It is my whole backing! Sometimes I hug Minky Plush Fabric Machine-Quilted Backing. 1 to 1 ½ inches apart is good. This is where I saw a difference between quilting cotton and minky. Our double pinning method is a quick fix for most minky fabric projects, especially if you’re making a larger throw or a strip quilt. My set up for quilting. them while lovingly caressing them. It is sometimes used as a quilt backing because of its incredibly soft hand. How to Sew Wings into A Long Sleeve Shirt Pattern. Quilting cotton – cut to approximately 3″ or so larger than your minky on all sides ** after washing **. When I baste the quilt, I am careful to gently stretch the minky just a tiny bit and tape it in place on my floor (or you can use tables for easier accessibility if … Minky - cut to the size you want your finished blanket. Because of this, I don’t like to use fusible web products when working with Cuddle. 12-19-2018, 03:29 PM #3 QuiltE. Quilting with cuddle was more time-consuming than with quilting cotton, but the results are so worth it. Don't be discouraged! important care tips to keep it like new. Breast Cancer Awareness lap quilt. I find if I vacuum along the edge immediately after cutting I have very little mess. Plus, I’ve got some great tips for working with Minky, and you’ll want to see how I used the Minky backing to bind my quilt! Projects: baby quilt, home décor. As you top stitch the binding down you are sewing through 4 layers plus the quilt. Minky fabric is very soft and cuddly. I really enjoyed quilting with Minky fabric. Fabric needed: Minky – cut to the size you want your finished blanket. This patchwork quilt is made for a very special baby boy and includes a super soft backing of Minky fabric. This quilt was easier than my first one because the back is one solid color. Either use a low loft batting or just skip it all together. Another popular choice for quilt backing is minky, a soft, synthetic fabric that feels oh-so-luxurious. Hard floors tend to allow things to shift while I’m trying to pin. (First time ever.) I find if I vacuum along the edge immediately after cutting I have very little mess. Thank you for any help. It just keeps stretching and stretching and when you take the quilt off the machine, it looks like a puffy, wrinkly mess. Minky Plush Fabric Machine-Quilted Backing. Keep your vacuum or lint roller handy when cutting. Thoughts on Quilting with Minky Fabric. Invest in a walking, or even feed foot. Anneliese, writing for Bernina, provides instructions for a simple pieced baby quilt backed with minky (the pretty pink and yellow quilt pictured in this article). Layer -> Cotton print facing down, flannel, Minky facing up. This step is not necessary but keep in mind that those 2 pieces of fabric will not be secured to each other. I have used minky on the back of several quilts. She walks you step-by-step through the quilt-making process, including how to do a simple wrap-around binding. Feb 2, 2020 - Making your quilt sandwich is arguably the single most important step for success when backing a quilt with minky fabric. I have done many tshirt quilts with minky on the back. As a matter of fact, I'll have another one finished by the end of the week! If you want you could quilt a pretty design in a few of the squares. November 15, 2017 at 2:13 pm. Today I’m sharing some tips so that you can successfully back a quilt with it! Master basic quilting techniques, from choosing fabrics and a design to adding sashing and borders and basting your quilt, in the FREE mini-class Piece, Patch, Quilt: Basic Quiltmaking Techniques with Gail Kessler. Get a nicely finished edge with this simple binding technique! I don't prewash my fabric, batting, or minky and I have not had any issues with shrinkage so far. I did not have any problems with it- her t-shirt blocks had stabilizer- the sashing strips and corner stones did not and were flannel- the minkie backing was one of the long-nap ones- I am careful to smooth but not stretch the minkie- but have been backing quilts and quilting other's quilts with it for 7 or 8 years now- I've never really had any problems with it- it quilts up beautifully. Size is 67"x47" "New pre-washed" soft minky backing. You can also use it for garments such as vests, jackets, and sweaters, as well as accents … Affiliate commissions allow us to continue to provide interesting and helpful content for our readers. Many quilters love to make cuddly quilts using fabric like polar fleece, flannel, or nappy knits like Minky or Shannon fabrics. Cluck Cluck Sew offers great insights into using minky for a quilt backing, and for quilting a minky-backed quilt. Use a large and simple quilting design. (My scrap was approximately 32″ x 52″.) Add this Plush Backing handling fee to your cart, along with your quilting service. This style of quilting adds a beautiful texture to any quilt, and Cuddle® minky fabric can be machine or long-arm quilted with or without batting. When sewing stretchy Minky to non stretchy flannel (or any other non stretchy fabric), you want to place the stretchy fabric towards the feed dogs, this way they can do the work of drawing up any excess. Feb 6, 2019 - A free tutorial for a sweet and simple whole-cloth baby quilt with a soft minky backing. Hand quilt the minky with the design of your choice or machine quilt. Thank you for supporting us through your purchases from these merchants. Minky acts differently than quilting cotton and requires special care when layering and quilting. Every time I talk about using minky to back my quilts I receive quite a few questions about my experience sewing with it so, as promised, I'll try to answer as many of them as I can in this post. This is a technique where you are folding over the backing onto the batting and quilt top to cover the raw edges. Instead of pinning fronts and back at this point, I simply put the top side squares in the bag, and then had a large stack of minky squares to match up as I started quilting. We highly recommend using minky as the backing fabric on a patchwork or cotton patchwork quilt. It makes a quilt extra warm and cuddly for chilly weather. I wondered how, Are you in need of a quick and easy baby gift for, Sending this beauty off to its new home tonight. How Do You Control Color When Ice Dyeing? When I smoothed the batting over the minky there was a bit of a give and it felt like the minky backing was stretching a bit, but there weren't any issues and not one pucker on the back. I know from experience that it does not work to quilt with this kind as a quilt backing. Cluck Cluck Sew offers great insights into using minky for a quilt backing, and for quilting a minky-backed quilt.

Activated Alumina Health Risks, Mill City Apartments, Viet Lane - Bayfair Menu, My Pomeranian Is Acting Strange, Garlic Chutney For Vada Pav, Epidendrum Radicans Habitat,